Recipe by Bluenoser
No need to purchase at the store. Make your own
Top Review by gale 57
This is wonderful and easy to make.You can also use white vinegar instead of the lemon juice.I doubled the recipe and I used whole milk .This is much creamier that store bought . Thank you for sharing this excellent recipe
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the milk over low heat, and bring to scald point (150 degrees).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice, and the milk will curdle.
- Let the mixture sit without refrigeration for 2-12 hours. This is the mellowing process, and it seems that the more patient you are, the mellower the cheese.
- Place 2 thickenesses of cheesecloth in a strainer.
- Place the strainer over a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the strainer, and allow the whey to drain several hours until the curd is dry.
- Flavor as you choose. Mix with blue cheese, roquefort, peanut butter, honey, nuts, spices or eat plain.