Recipe by Chef Scherezade
You can make that pricey Chinese chicken dish you love so much, at home, for less than $3 per plate instead of the $6-$15 at PF Changs or the equivalent.
- 1 lb whole boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups sunflower oil
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the chicken thoroughly with cold water, then chop into finger sized pieces.
- Mix flour and cornstarch well and add a pinch of salt from the tablespoon sized amount, then dredge chicken.
- Meanwhile, preheat sunflower oil.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add vinegar, water, and ketchup and stir with whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil.
- After mixture boils, add sugar, salt, garlic powder, pineapple, bell pepper, and onion. (hint: if sauce is coming too thin after 10 minutes on low heat, remove from heat and add teaspoon of cornstarch gradually until thickening begins.).
- Add chicken to oil and fry until golden. After chicken is fried, add immediately to sauce mixture on low heat and toss well to coat.
- Serve with white rice.