Recipe by TwinsPlus1
I decided that I needed to use all the dried pinto beans I was collecting. I have a huge crock pot (6 or 7 qts) and put that baby to use! After these were done, I split the beans up and froze them in freezer bags.
- 2 lbs dried pinto beans, rinsed & sorted
- 24 cups water (12 for soaking, 12 for cooking)
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 sweet onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse & Sort the Dried Beans.
- Put the beans in the crock and add the 12 cups of water, it should cover the beans entirely and be about 2-3 inches over them to allow for the beans to expand.
- Allow the beans to sit, covered, overnight.
- I started the beans after dinner one night and they sat until the next morning once the kids were off to school.
- Drain the beans in the morning and put back into the crock pot.
- Add 12 more cups of water to the beans and cook on low 10-12 hours.
- Once the beans are done (soft enough) to your liking, drain them BUT RESERVE THE COOKING WATER!
- Mashed the beans by hand with potato masher or a hand mixer.
- Add enough cooking water to make the beans to a consistency that you prefer.
- I like to soften the chopped onions with a little oil in pan over medium heat, then add them to the finished refried beans.
- **You can add seasoning to the beans now or wait until you are thaw the beans out and use them in a recipe**.