4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My Mom made this, and it's delicious. She uses the ravioli filling in her lasagne which is heavenly. This recipe takes a little extra effort, but it's well worth it for a special evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (unsifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons salad oil (or olive oil)
- grated parmesan cheese
Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1Make Italian Tomato Sauce: Puree undrained tomatoes in blender. In hot oil in large sauce pan, saute onion and garlic until golden-brown (abou 5 minutes). Add pureed tomato, tomato paste, 1 1/2 c water, the parsley sprigs, salt, sugar, oregano, basil, and pepper and mix well. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, make ravioli filling: In medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients and beat with wooden spoon until well blended. Set aside.
- 3Make noodle dough: Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl and make well in center. Add eggs and water. Beat with wooden spoon until dough forms ball and leaves side of bowl.
- 4Turn onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic--6 to 8 minutes. Divide into quarters.
- 5On lightly floured surface, roll one quarter (keep remaining dough covered with plastic film) into 17x13 inch rectangle. Cover with film.
- 6Roll a second quarter into a 17x13 inch rectangle. Drop filling by teaspoonfuls in 24 evenly spaced mounds on this dough rectangle (six lengthwise and four across).
- 7Lightly brush edges and spaces between mounds of filling with water. Place first dough rectangle on top and tirm edges with pastry wheel.
- 8Run pastry wheel between mounds of filling, to make 24 ravioli and press edges of each with times of fork to seal.
- 9Place on flour-covered sheet of waxed paper to dry--about 15 minutes. Turn once. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 10In large kettle, bring 8 quarts water to boil.
- 11Add salt, oil, and ravioli.
- 12Boil gently, uncovered, 25-30 minutes, or until done.
- 13Turn half of ravioli into colander at one time, drain well.
- 14Turn ravioli into heated large serving dish. Top with tomato sauce and pass remaining sauce. Sprinkle ravioli with parmesan.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Ravioli With Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.8
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 135.7 mg
- Sodium 2779.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 19.8 g