Recipe by Heather ND
This recipe is from homecooking.about.com I haven't made it but it looks pretty easy and yummy.
- 1 nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup powdered soy protein concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt (or vanilla)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (325°F for a glass pan.
- Lightly spray a 9- by 13- inch baking pan and a baking tray with nonstick spray.
- Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and mix patiently until thoroughly blended. (You may have to use your hands -- it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough).
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or shape.
- Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer).
- Remove the bars from the oven, and place them on a rack to cool.
- Eat the bars within a few hours, or seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer. For maximum crispness, "refresh" them in a toaster oven after defrosting.