Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad has a cooked dressing that is very nice and tangy.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 lbs new potatoes or 3 lbs red potatoes
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, drained
- salt and pepper
- Combine salt, mustard powder, brown sugar, flour and cayenne in the top of a double-boiler (or heavy saucepan).
- Add milk and egg yolks.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cook over boiling water (or medium heat), stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in butter and vinegar.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Scrub potatoes (or peel).
- Cut potatoes into 2 inch pieces.
- Place in cold water, bring to a boil, cook until tender.
- Drain well.
- Stir horseradish and mustard into dressing.
- Season to taste.
- Add all or as much dressing to potatoes as you wish.
- Add onions and olives.
- Combine well.
- This will keep up to 1 week refrigerated.