I like this recipe because its simple and quick and a good way to empty out those ketchup bottles! Once it is put together in the cooker you can forget about it until supper. I serve this with toast and a salad. The leftovers are frozen and added to homemade chili. For those on gluten free diets, please make sure all your ingredients are GF.
Top Review by onipar
Great recipe! I used canned pink beans instead of the dried (was in a rush). I'm just glad to find a recipe that *doesn't* use prepared baked beans. This had a good balance of sweet and savory. Other recipes I've tried had WAY too much molasses, and turned out looking black in color instead of brown, the way these did.
- 3 -4 cups raw dried navy beans, cover with
- 8 -12 cups cold water, and soak overnight
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses or 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb bacon, slices raw
Directions See How It's Made
- If your beans have soaked overnight, Add enough HOT water to cover beans by about an inch.
- Cook on High 1 hour or longer until beans are tender.
- Beans need to be tender before you add the other ingredients otherwise it is hard to cook them to the soft stage.
- If you forgot to do this step then, place 4 cups beans into slow cooker.
- Add at least 10 cups hot water, cover.
- Cook on High for 2 hours.
- Test a bean - they should be soft/tender BEFORE adding remaining ingredients.
- Put remaining ingredients into slow cooker.
- Stir gently.
- Cover and cook: On Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours.