Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Remember the 85 yrs old Chinese Lady ? Well, here's a follow up of a tasty fillings for that marvelous spring roll wrapper - Popiah Skin # 65211. Enjoy ! :)
- 20 pieces spring roll wrappers (popiah skin , recommended to try Homemade Popiah Wrapper ( Spring Roll ) or purchase ready made)
- 30 -50 g cornstarch (to make glue)
- 70 -100 g carrots, julienne
- 70 -100 g cucumbers, peeled, cores removed and cut into strip of 3 cm long for topping
- 300 g chinese lettuce
- 350 g turnips, julienne (sengkuang in malay)
- 100 g French beans, sliced finely
- 50 g shallots, sliced finely and fried till crispy
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 50 g small shrimp, shelled and boiled and chopped (or with other white meat) (optional)
- 3 eggs, beat the eggs with
- 1 teaspoon salt, fry thin omlettes and cut into strips for topping
- 100 g sweet chili sauce (to taste)
- 50 g red chilies, washed and pounded (blend) (optional)
- 100 g crushed peanuts (peanuts must be fried)
- To make filling: Heat oil and fry garlic till fragrant.
- Add in french bean, carrot and turnip, braised with stock till soft.
- Add seasoning (soya sauce, preferred) and reduced till gravy is almost dry.
- Remove cooked vegetables and strain to separate gravy stock.
- SAUCES/ CONDIMENTS.
- Sweet Sauce:.
- Fresh red chili paste (grind fresh red chili in blender).
- Fry chopped garlic till golden brown.
- Crushed Peanuts (pounded?).
- To roll popiah: Spread sweet sauce onto skin, followed by chilli (optional).
- Place 1 pc of Chinese lettuce onto the skin.
- Place 2 tablespoon of the braised vegetable onto the lettuce.
- Continue to sprinkle other condiments/ ingredients.
- Add some fried garlic with oil unto ingredient (optional).
- Fold bottom and side corners before rolling.
- Secure with vegetable glue before final roll.
- Serve with garnish of chopped spring onions, coriander, fried shallot and sauce (as dip).