1 hr 30 mins
Remember the 85 yrs old Chinese Lady ? Well, here's a follow up of a tasty fillings for that marvelous spring roll wrapper - Popiah Skin # 65211. Enjoy ! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 pieces spring roll wrappers (popiah skin , recommended to try Homemade Popiah Wrapper ( Spring Roll ) or purchase ready made)
- 30 -50 g cornstarch (to make glue)
- 70 -100 g carrots, julienne
- 70 -100 g cucumbers, peeled, cores removed and cut into strip of 3 cm long for topping
- 300 g chinese lettuce
- 350 g turnips, julienne (sengkuang in malay)
- 100 g French beans, sliced finely
- 50 g shallots, sliced finely and fried till crispy
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 50 g small shrimp, shelled and boiled and chopped (or with other white meat) (optional)
- 3 eggs, beat the eggs with
- 1 teaspoon salt, fry thin omlettes and cut into strips for topping
- 100 g sweet chili sauce (to taste)
- 50 g red chilies, washed and pounded (blend) (optional)
- 100 g crushed peanuts (peanuts must be fried)
- 1To make filling: Heat oil and fry garlic till fragrant.
- 2Add in french bean, carrot and turnip, braised with stock till soft.
- 3Add seasoning (soya sauce, preferred) and reduced till gravy is almost dry.
- 4Remove cooked vegetables and strain to separate gravy stock.
- 5SAUCES/ CONDIMENTS.
- 6Sweet Sauce:.
- 7Fresh red chili paste (grind fresh red chili in blender).
- 8Fry chopped garlic till golden brown.
- 9Crushed Peanuts (pounded?).
- 10To roll popiah: Spread sweet sauce onto skin, followed by chilli (optional).
- 11Place 1 pc of Chinese lettuce onto the skin.
- 12Place 2 tablespoon of the braised vegetable onto the lettuce.
- 13Continue to sprinkle other condiments/ ingredients.
- 14Add some fried garlic with oil unto ingredient (optional).
- 15Fold bottom and side corners before rolling.
- 16Secure with vegetable glue before final roll.
- 17Serve with garnish of chopped spring onions, coriander, fried shallot and sauce (as dip).
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Popiah - Spring Roll
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 550.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce