Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
We love these and they are so easy to make. Since we can't do "artificial" here, these are second best. First best, in my opinion.
For Pie Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup jam (your choice)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 ounces milk, to thin
- candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing dough after each addiction until dough forms a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. To about 1/8 thickness. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
- Take one pie crust rectangle and lace 1 teaspoons of jam on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- While pop-tarts are baking, make glaze. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk slowing until it has a consistency of really thick syrup. 1/2 a tablespoons to 1 tablespoons might be enough.
- Once pop-tarts are done and cooled, top with glaze. Sprinkle and decorate with colorful sprinkle.
Well, I gave these a try. No pop tarts in the house (I won't buy them but for DH, they are a food group all their own). So they are easy to make, you choose the filling-blackberry jam in this case. A snap to make and guess what? I have now condemned myself to making these once a week they are "that good", and homemade with ingredients I can pronounce-a huge bonus! Thanks for Posting!!! Di ;-)
We are going to be starting the Feingold diet soon. I was thrilled to find this recipe! These are a million times better then the store bought ones. Even better, I can pronounce the ingredients! DELICIOUS!!!!
Love these. I used sugar free jam and these turned out great. So much healthier than the other store bought brands. Thanks for a great recipe.