Make these sinful little treats yourself and skip all the nasty chemicals that the commercial brands add to give them a long shelf life! Let your imagination run wild on the flavors you can create!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing dough until dough forms a ball.
- 2Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
- 3Take one pie crust rectangle and spread with 1 teaspoons of jam or pie filling on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp with fork all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 8-10 minutes. (watch carefully after 8 minutes).
- 4While pop-tarts are baking, make a glaze from the powdered sugar and milk. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk in slowly until it resembles thick syrup. 1/2 a tablespoons to 1 tablespoons might be enough.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Pop Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.6
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 252.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: