Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Make these sinful little treats yourself and skip all the nasty chemicals that the commercial brands add to give them a long shelf life! Let your imagination run wild on the flavors you can create!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup pie filling or 1⁄2 cup jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing dough until dough forms a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
- Take one pie crust rectangle and spread with 1 teaspoons of jam or pie filling on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp with fork all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 8-10 minutes. (watch carefully after 8 minutes).
- While pop-tarts are baking, make a glaze from the powdered sugar and milk. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk in slowly until it resembles thick syrup. 1/2 a tablespoons to 1 tablespoons might be enough.