Cook1 hr 5 mins
Nice as an appetizer or as a meatless main dish. Use whole milk if desired, for richer flavor.
Make and share this Homemade Polenta Squares With Chunky Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups skim milk (can use whole or low fat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) jarchunky garden vegetable spaghetti sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- Bring milk, salt and cayenne to boil in larfe saucepan over med. high heat.
- While whisking milk, add cornmeal in a very thin but steady stream. DO NOT LET LUMPS FORM.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook uncovered 50-60 minute until polenta is very thick, stirring frequently. It will be ready when you can stand a wooden spoon upright in middle of mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over med. heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- When polenta is done, add bell pepper mixture and Parmesan to saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Spread polenta evenly into pan. Cover and let stand at room temp for 6hrs or until completely cooled and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut polenta into 24 squares.
- Pour spaghetti sauce evenly over polenta.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with provolone.
- Bake 2-3 minutes longer to melt cheese.
- Let stand 5 minutes and loosen edges with spatula.
- Carefully lift out squares and serve.