1/1 Photo of Homemade Polenta Squares With Chunky Tomato Sauce
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Nice as an appetizer or as a meatless main dish. Use whole milk if desired, for richer flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups skim milk (can use whole or low fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) jar chunky garden vegetable spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 1Bring milk, salt and cayenne to boil in larfe saucepan over med. high heat.
- 2While whisking milk, add cornmeal in a very thin but steady stream. DO NOT LET LUMPS FORM.
- 3Reduce heat to low.
- 4Cook uncovered 50-60 minute until polenta is very thick, stirring frequently. It will be ready when you can stand a wooden spoon upright in middle of mixture.
- 5Meanwhile, melt butter over med. heat.
- 6Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 7When polenta is done, add bell pepper mixture and Parmesan to saucepan. Stir to combine.
- 8Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Spread polenta evenly into pan. Cover and let stand at room temp for 6hrs or until completely cooled and firm.
- 9Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 10Cut polenta into 24 squares.
- 11Pour spaghetti sauce evenly over polenta.
- 12Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- 13Remove from oven and sprinkle with provolone.
- 14Bake 2-3 minutes longer to melt cheese.
- 15Let stand 5 minutes and loosen edges with spatula.
- 16Carefully lift out squares and serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Polenta Squares With Chunky Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.5
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 736.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garden vegetable spaghetti sauce