Shirl (J) 831's Note:
Found this via the net and posted in response to a request.
My Private Note
- 1Bring the water to a boil in a medium pan. Add salt reduce heat to medium low. As soon as the water begins to simmer, start pouring in the cornmeal in a thin stream, very slowly while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps. Once all the cornmeal has been added, keep the water at a simmer, and stir frequently. should take between 25-30 minutes to fully cook Once it is cooked, it should pull away from the sides of the pot easily.
- 3Soft Polenta: Use polenta directly out of the pot, topped with sauce or vegetables as desired. scoop a good portion on a plate, let it sit for a minute or two. Next top the polenta with a scoop of your favorite sauce. add grated Parmesan cheese to the polenta and sauce.
- 4Firm Polenta: After it is completely cooked, place on wooden board or a greased baking sheet 2 inches thick and allow to set. Cut into squares.
- 5Baked Polenta: Cut firm polenta into slices, place in a buttered baking dish. Add favorite topping, bake at 375°F till golden.
- 6Grilled Polenta: Cut firm polenta into squares, brush with oil and grill lightly on both sides.
- 7Fried Polenta: Cut the firm polenta into slices and fry in a few inches of hot oil till golden brown and crispy.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.8
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3520.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g