Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe for pizza made from scratch using a whole grain dough. I choose broccoli and ham as my toppings because it's what I had, but you can choose any toppings you wish.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed and diced
- 4 slices deli ham, chopped in to small pieces
- place 1/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water; stir in sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add remaining water, oil and salt. Stir in all-purpose flour and whole gain flour until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, 8- 10 minutes.
- Coat large bowl with cooking spray; place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until almost double in size, about 45 minutes.
- While waiting for dough to rise dice broccoli and cut up ham slices and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Punch down dough. Coat two 12-inch pizza pans with cooking spray; sprinkle pans with cornmeal.
- Divide dough in half. Roll dough to fit prepared pans; press dough against edge to form rim. Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and top with pizza sauce. Add the toppings and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.