Prep 23 mins
Cook 34 mins
I got this from my grandparents at the Rez who are very big pizza lovers so they made a dough and heres there recipe:)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (use 2 1/2 cups all-purpose and 1/2 cup pastry flour for more authentic dough)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- This is a double-rise dough typical of Neapolitan pizza. Two different rise methods are provided, one overnight in refrigerator and the other with a sponge.
- Refrigerator Rise Method: Mix 2 1/2 cups flour with salt, yeast, and water. Mix in remaining flour until dough is slightly sticky and not dry. Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until smooth. Place dough in bowl dusted with flour and covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, punch dough down and divide in fourths (approximately 7 ounces each) or halves. Dust dough portions with flour and put in ziploc bags and return to refrigerator until ready to use.
- Sponge Rise Method: Prepare dough sponge by mixing yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour. (Throw out and start over with fresher yeast if not foamy.) Stir dough sponge to deflate. Mix 1/2 of remaining flour with salt, remaining water, and dough sponge. Mix in remaining flour (dough should be slightly sticky and not dry). Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until smooth. Place dough in bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (2 to 3 hours). Punch dough down and divide in fourths (approximately 7 ounces each) or halves. Dust dough portions with flour and put in ziploc bags in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove dough portions from refrigerator when ready to shape into crust. Punch down dough thoroughly and roll out dough on a floured surface to half of its final size. Let rest for 10-15 minutes (while you prepare toppings). Stretch out dough over your floured knuckles and fly 2-3 times until desired size is achieved. Move dough crust to pizza peel spread with flour. Add sauce, cheese, and toppings and bake in preheated 500° F oven directly on the pizza stone for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 2-3 minutes on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
- note:This recipe makes two 12" or four 9" crusts.