Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe for pizza made entirely from scratch.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (7 g)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 6 large tomatoes, skins peeled and stems removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon tandoori masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- DOUGH: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix water, sugar, and yeast together. Add olive oil and salt. Stir in flour until well blended. Cover dough with clean dish towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes in an area where there is no draft.
- Flour a clean surface with 1/4 cup of flour. Knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes, or until dough has absorbed the flour and doesn't stick quite as much to the surface.
- Press dough into a rounded pizza sheet. Or, divide the dough into five balls and roll them out to make mini pizzas, placing them on a cookie sheet.
- TOMATO SAUCE: Blend the tomatoes into a paste in blender or food processor. Pour into saucepan and allow it to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour cooked tomato mixture through a fine mesh strainer. This should allow you to drain out all of the water from the mixture, collecting only the sauce. Set sauce aside.
- Heat oil in pan and roast the minced garlic for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the sauce, salt, and masala. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Spread evenly over the crust and top with mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. Cook for 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted.