Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is crisp, crumbly pastry, goes with sweet or savory pies.This is for a 9 inch shell. You can do a couple of variations with thi: For nut pie crust, add 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans. For a richer crust, use 2 cups flour and 3/4 cup butter or shortening, plus 1 tablespoon superfine sugar For a two crust pie: Increase proportions by 50%,
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons shortening or 8 tablespoons butter, chilled and diced
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the shortening. Rub it into the flour with your fingers until crumbly.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over the mixture. With a fork, toss gently to mix and moisten.
- Press the dough into a ball. If it is too dry, gradually add another tablespoon of ice water.
- Wrap the ball of dough with plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill for at least 30 minutes.