My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
- 2Gradually add water, stirring to make a stiff dough.
- 3Turn onto a pastry board. Place the oil in a bowl and spread a little of it on the palms of your hands. Knead the dough with a folding and turning motion, adding more oil to your hands when dough begins to stick. Continue until you have a smooth, elastic ball of dough and the oil is nearly all used.
- 4Then roll the ball of dough in the remaining oil to cover all sides, place a clean cloth over the bowl, and allow the dough to rest for two hours or more in a warm place away from drafts. A barely warm oven is satisfactory.
- 5Separate 1/4 of the dough and roll to 1/4 inch thickness on a pastry board rubbed with cornstarch. Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Cover a table (cardtable or larger) with a smooth cloth and carefully lift dough onto it. Put your hands under the dough, palms down and gently stretch and pull the dough with the backs of your hands, working your way around the table, until the dough is as thin as tissue paper. Do not worry if it hangs down around the edges of the table, or if some holes appear, especially around the edges. Cut off the thicker edge and save the scraps.
- 7The phyllo is now ready to be cut into pieces with scissors if you wish to use it moist. If you prefer dry phyllo, allow it to sand until dry, about 10 minutes, then cut into desired sizes.
- 8The scraps of dough can be put into a moist bowl and kneaded and rolled again.
- 9When using phyllo dough, spray the sheets with olive oil or melted butter from a spritzer bottle. It's a fast, easy way to apply the fat in a very thin layer.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Phyllo
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1453.5
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2336.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 254.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 34.4 g