Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found at www.recipegoldmine.com No indication of how much the recipe makes or time involved, but once I try it out I'll edit this recipe here. Here's what it said on that page: Homemade Christmas Candy Canes Posted by BettyBoop at recipegoldmine.com 11/14/2001 11:07 am Received this recipe from my sister and wanted to share it with everyone. I plan on making them for Christmas. I don't know how many candy canes this recipe will make.
- Combine the sugar, water, syrup and cream of tartar in a sauce pan and heat till the sugar has dissolved.
- Divide mixture into 2 saucepans, bring to a boil (do not stir the mixtures in both pots) until the candy thermometer reads 280 degrees F.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint into each pot and add the red food coloring into one pot, leaving the other pot plain.
- Oil an enamel or marble surface or slab.
- Place mixture from one pot and stretch it like taffy, pulling and forming the mixture into a rope.
- Set aside and continue with other pot doing the same thing.
- Take both red and white ropes and twist them around each other again and again.
- Cut into desired sizes and form into candy cane shapes.
- Oil the surface lightly again and place candy canes and allow them to harden.
- Have fun making these!