Just like peanut butter, but peanut-free! Made for a child who was allergic to peanuts but not tree nuts. For the pecans, you can roast them or do this raw with the bags of chopped pecans available in the baking aisle. Vegetable oil can be substituted with safflower, canola, etc.
- If roasting pecans, place on a greased cookie sheet in preheated 350 degree oven. Spread them out in a thin layer to roast evenly.
- Roast for 5 minutes, stir, then roast for another 5 minutes until you can smell them. Take care not to scorch them!
- As soon as they come out of the oven, place them on a flat plate or piece of parchment paper to cool.
- Add cooled pecans to food processor and blend on HIGH until finely ground, 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil 1/2 tbs at a time and continue to blend until butter reaches desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. Usually, this will keep 1 to 2 months if you used fresh nuts. Storing at room temperature will accelerate rancidification.