Prep 15 mins
Cook 696 hrs
So good! With corned beef going on sale soon for St. Paddy's day, why not give it a try.
Make and share this Homemade Pastrami - No Smoker Needed recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (important to use smoked)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Trim fat layer of corned beef to 1/8 inch.
- Mix together coriander, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle half of spice mixture on one side of meat. Sprinkle on half of red pepper flakes and cover with pepper.
- Press seasonings into the meat.
- Turn meat over and repeat on other side.
- Wrap tightly with a lightly oiled sheet of heavy duty foil.
- Place meat seam side down on another sheet of foil and wrap again tightly. Repeat 5 more times using 7 sheets of foil.
- Slow roast at 240°F for 5 hours
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Unwrap meat.
- If you like the coating, seal it on by baking at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- If you like your pastrami mild, you can scrape off the seasoning.
- Slice pastrami thinly at room temp or cooler.
- You can reheat in a frying pan with a few drops of water.
I made it as written. Very good, but not what I would call Pastrami. Still, a viable alternative for folks without the ability to smoke a brisket.
I used homemade corned beef and, since I didn't have smoked paprika, I added a little liquid smoke. The meat came out tender and very tasty! Not exactly like the pastrami I get at the deli but every bit as good!