Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs 45 mins
The recipe comes from a 1975 cookbook that my brother-in-law found at a garage sale called Crockpot Cookery. This pastrami is amazing. The most important part is that you use a CORNED BEEF brisket, which will have already been brined (unless you prefer to brine your own).
- Place first seven ingredients in crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours.
- Drain meat. Allow to cool enough to touch.
- In a small bowl, combine pepper and paprika with enough liquid smoke to form loose paste.
- Rub paste thoroughly into drained meat.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Slice paper-thin to serve with rye bread, mustards, and garlic dill pickles. Tastes great with cole slaw.
Amazingly easy and delicious. Followed the recipe and it came out perfect. First time making it and I didnt expect it to come out better than I've ever had.
super easy! this for a holiday party, and it was gone in minutes. only thing i changed was to use smoked paprika and pepper with water instead of the regular paprika and pepper with liquid smoke. assume that smoked paprika wasn't as readily available in the 70s. anyway it tasted like just like deli pastrami only it was very moist (wife says "juicy").