This recipe is from Bellaonline.com. I don't use them, much, but a lot of people do. Here is your chance to contron the ingredients in yours. Any white bread will do for making panko. An Asian chef I once worked with swore that the best homemade panko came from Wonder Bread! The yield will vary according to how large you make your crumbs, so I am guessing.
- 1 loaf white bread, or
- if you don't have white bread, use soda crackers, like Saltines and oyster crackers or melba toast, instead. approx. 23 saltine crackers per cup
- Push chunks of white bread through the shredding disk of a food processor to make coarse crumbs.
- Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 300 F degrees until the crumbs are dry but not toasted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Shake the sheet twice during baking. Be careful not to let the crumbs brown!
- Immediately remove bread crumbs from oven and allow them to cool.
- Once cooled, crumbs may be stored in the freezer, in a resealable plastic bag for as long as several months.