Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is my own tweaked version of "Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce" I got from www.theslowroasteditalian.com. On some of the ingredients I just eye-balled the amount, so you may want to work with this recipe. It turned out so good, I just had to share. Splenda and wine are optional.
- 12 ripe roma tomatoes (halved and cored)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 large shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to your taste)
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon, juice of
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme (to your taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon basil (to your taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon rosemary (to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cabernet sauvignon wine (optional)
- Cut tomatoes length wise, take the core out. Put the halved tomatoes into a large bowl. Take the cores and put them into a blender, and set aside for later.
- Infuse the oil by putting the olive oil, green and red bell pepper, garlic, and shallot into another bowl, stir and microwave 30-45 seconds.
- Add thyme, basil, and rosemary to the halved tomatoes in the large bowl, and drizzle the oil mixture over the halved tomatoes, gently stir to coat.
- Lay the tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet or a casserole dish (metal or glass). "I used glass".
- Pour the rest of the mixture over the tomatoes.
- Set oven to 400 degrees, and cook tomatoes till they are slightly brown, or softened for a lighter colored sauce (30 min.- 1 1/2 hour).
- Turn them over when they reach desired look. .
- Blend the tomato cores on high, and pour them into a pot, and set aside.
- After the tomatoes are done roasting in the oven, put them into the blender, and blend them on high as well.
- Add roasted tomatoes to the core mixture in the pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- If you wish, add splenda to calm down the acidity in the sauce.
- Simmer sauce for about 15-20 minute.
- Save for later: Put lemon juice on the bottom of a freezer safe container, and pour sauce on top of lemon juice. Freeze until you are ready to use. This will keep for several months in the freezer. When you are ready to use it, thaw, and add 1/4 cup of Cabernet Sauvignon wine, bring to a boil, and cook for several minutes until the alcohol is cooked out of the dish.
- Use now: Add lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of Cabernet Sauvignon wine, and bring to a boil, and cook for several minutes until the alcohol is cooked out of the dish.
- Serve as a condiment, over pasta, or over an Italian Turkey meat loaf.