1/2 Photos of Homemade Oreos - Flour Bakery + Cafe
3 hrs 20 mins
I have not tried this recipe; posted for safekeeping. Published in the Boston Globe. Allow 1 hour for the dough to firm before shaping, then several more hours for it to chill before slicing. You can refrigerate the dough for up to 1 week or freeze it for 1 month (defrost in the refrigerator). The log may settle as it chills, so reroll it every 15 minutes if you’re around during the initial chilling so the log stays round. The filling will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Let it come to room temperature before using.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk the butter and the sugar until combined. Whisk in the vanilla and melted chocolate. Add the egg and stir until well blended.
- 3In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend them. Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. The finished dough should feel like Play-Doh. Cover the dough with plastic, and set aside for 1 hour or until firm.
- 4Place the dough on a long sheet of parchment paper. Use your hands to shape it into a rough log, about 10 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the log at the edge of the parchment. Roll the parchment around the log. With your hands on the paper, roll the dough into a tighter log, keeping the diameter the same.
- 5Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, or until it is firm enough to slice without crumbling.
- 6Set the oven at 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 7Remove the dough from the paper. Cut the log into 32 slices, each a quarter-inch. Set them on the baking sheets 1 inch apart.
- 8Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, checking them often after 15 minutes, or until they are firm when touched in the center.
- 9Cool completely on the sheets.
- 11In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on low speed for half a minute. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.
- 12Beat in the milk and salt. The filling will look and feel like spackle.
- 13Place 1 tablespoon of filling on the flat side of 16 cookies. Press the remaining 16 cookies on the filling, flat sides against the cream, to evenly distribute the filling.
- 14Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Oreos - Flour Bakery + Cafe
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.3
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 204.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 3.0 g