Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Homemade onion soup with homemade broth, excellent flavour. Great just as a broth, or turn it into French Onion. I actually like this recipe best with a ham/pork stock or beef stock the best. I make my own stocks so they are very rich in flavour which makes a big difference in the end result.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups broth, can be chicken, beef, ham, etc
- white wine, to de-glaze
- Heat saucepan on low heat.
- Add oil and onions, cook onions on low for about 1 to 1/2 hours, until they are brown/carmelized. Add salt and pepper.
- De-glaze the pan with white wine, or just use a bit of broth.
- Add the remainder of the broth and simmer for 20 min to develop flavors. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy as is, or add 1/2 or 1 piece of dried/toasted bread to a bowl, cover with broth. Top with Mozzarella cheese and broil in oven until cheese is golden.