Recipe by spicyperspective
My hubby and I have recently discussed a new house rule for guarding our waistlines. "If you MUST have it, you must MAKE it from scratch!" This rules out feverishly grabbing ice cream bars, store-bought oatmeal cream pies, and any other junk that you only crave at 11:46 pm--the worst possible time to eat it! So here's the homemade version...better than the original!
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml melted butter
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml flour
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 7.39 ml cocoa powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml vegetable shortening
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 212.62 g jar marshmallows, fluff
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla. Once smooth, slowly add the dry mixture to the wet until well combined. Stir in the oats.
- Use a tablespoon-sized scoop to form equal dough balls. Allow them plenty of space to spread. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely before moving off the parchment paper.
- Cream the shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Mix in the marshmallow fluff.
- To assemble: Match up two cookies that are of equal size and shape. Turn the bottom cookies over. Use a piping bag (or zip-bag with the corner cut off) to pipe the filling onto the bottom cookie. This is much easier than trying to spread it. Then add the top cookie of each cream pie and press down.
- *I found I liked a thin layer of cream filling better than a thick layer--but you should have plenty if you want to pile it on!