Recipe by Um Safia
Many European kids have grown up eating Nutella, I'm no exception & my kids love the stuff too. These days though, Nutella is becoming increasingly more expensive & as a mother of 2 young children, I'm also worried about what they're eating. This homemade version of Nutella is very simple to make & has only 3 ingredients. This is a recipe by Stephanie Gallagher.
Top Review by Baking Bunny
I tried this and for whatever reason it didn't really work for me. The hazelnuts just about burned out the motor in my magic bullet and I had to add 3 tbsp of oil and it still didn't look as smooth and creamy as your picture. It had a lot nuttier flavor (and less chocolate) than the original version. I don't know if I would try this again, but if I did I would probably melt the chocolate and make it half and half to see if that would improve the results.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil (I use sunflower oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the hazelnuts in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat 2 to 4 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Place the hazelnuts and the chocolate chips in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture starts to become smooth.
- Drizzle in one tablespoon of oil while continuing to process. If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil until the mixture becomes smooth and spreadable.
- Store in the fridge in a clean jar or lidded container for upto 2 weeks. You will probably need to mix the spread before each use as the oil can separate.