Recipe by Shelli
This is my Mom's recipe--a long time favorite for cold winter suppers.
Top Review by spacholl
This reminds me of my gradmas soup. I left out the sugar and the potatoes and this makes an easy and great tasting meal for the atkins or the south beach diet. I also added carving scraps from the ham. a very satisfying soup.
- 2 cups navy beans, soaked overnight
- 2 smoked pork hocks or 1 ham bone
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced potato
- enough water, to cover all ingredients in the pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pork hocks or ham bone and the onion for one hour in enough water to cover the bones.
- Add beans, salt, pepper and sugar and more water to keep all ingredients covered.
- Cook 1 hour or till beans are soft.
- Add carrots and celery, cook for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook 30 more minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.