Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my Mom's recipe--a long time favorite for cold winter suppers.
Make and share this Homemade Navy Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Cook pork hocks or ham bone and the onion for one hour in enough water to cover the bones.
- Add beans, salt, pepper and sugar and more water to keep all ingredients covered.
- Cook 1 hour or till beans are soft.
- Add carrots and celery, cook for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook 30 more minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
This reminds me of my gradmas soup. I left out the sugar and the potatoes and this makes an easy and great tasting meal for the atkins or the south beach diet. I also added carving scraps from the ham. a very satisfying soup.
This was very good! The only changes I made to it were I added a bay leaf to the soup and left out the potatoes. It had a great flavor. I liked the fact that this recipe called for the hambones to be cooked with onions and enough water to cover bones. I think that is the special touch that gave this soup it's TASTINESS!! Two thumbs up!!! I will never use my bean soup recipe again!!!!
Forgot to rate it when I wrote my review!!!!!!! Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!