Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely creamy-mushroomy soup for two. A dash of dry sherry or truffle oil maybe added. Should you like additional mushrooms and a thicker consistency, those may be added. Don't rinse your mushrooms, just wipe them with a damp cloth. With great reviews from: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/12/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe.html.
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped finely (brown or white button, crimini or any mix)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- fresh parsley or thyme (to garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add butter and lightly saute garlic over medium heat.
- Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 5 minutes or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
- Add in chicken broth. Stir occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour/water mixture and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Finally, add milk and heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Turn heat off.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme.
Yummy...Yummy...Yummy! Made this for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag game and this is another wonderful recipe from Gailanng. I did add some minced onion and celery with the garlic while it was sauteeing but otherwise followed the instructions. Definately a keeper and going into my Favorites of 2013.