Spicy Dish's Note:
This is a combination of several kopycat recipes I found for "Montreal Steak Spice". I messed with them till I came up with this. Hubby has a Cottonseed Oil alergy which seems to be in many store bought spice mixes which was the driving force for this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Grinder
- 6 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon red peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds (I use when i can) (optional)
- 2 -4 dried New Mexico chiles, with seeds (mild)
- 2 -4 thai dried hot red chili peppers, with seeds #
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (rough ground)
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 6 tablespoons minced dried garlic (not garlic salt) or 6 tablespoons garlic powder, works in a pinch
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- dried onion flakes, slightly ground
- 3 tablespoons coarse sea salt, to taste Do not grind (optional)
- 1** Note: Substitute 6 Tbls Black peppercorn, depending on what is you have handy or preference.
- 2# Note: chilie peppers optional to taste, if you like it hot add more and with seeds
- 3Lightly toast each whole spice separately in a dry cast pan until it releases the aroma or starts to brown
- 4Then grind each spice separately to a fairly course texture due to the different hardness’s of the spices. Some are harder than others and require more time in the grinder. As always, a cheap coffee grinder works great!
- 5Combine the newly ground spices and the "Just Add" spices in bowl till cool then put in a jar for storage.
- 6Rub on steak half an hour before cooking. The longer it marinades the better. I have added sage and used this on chicken and pork as well.
- 7This makes a large mason jar full (1 quart) I make enough to share lol.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade "montreal Steak Spice"
Serving Size: 1 (11 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 57.0
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: