Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe for homemade Miracle Whip in the local paper. Miracle Whip is not available where I live, so it's nice to have a jar of this in the fridge.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Using a blender or electric mixer, blend egg yolks, salt, sugar and 1 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup oil, a few drops at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup oil a little faster, carefully blending in each bit before adding the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Mix the flour, mustard, boiling water and vinegar together until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan and cook until smooth and paste-like (but not too thick).
- Slowly add this hot mixture to the mayonnaise and blend well.
- Pour in a container and cool in the refrigerator.
This is a very good base recipe for Miracle Whip. I found when I compared it side by side with Miracle Whip, it was not as sweet. So, I added another tablespoon of powdered sugar and that did the trick. Also, Miracle Whip has paprika and garlic in it. So, I added 1/4 teaspoon of paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic. Tastes just like Miracle Whip to me!!! Good stuff!!
As a Southern boy, one of my favorite foods was saltines spread with Miracle Whip. So I know my "Whip". However, I found myself out on day and had to improvise. This recipe fit the bill after a few modifications. First, as shown, it's too "lemony". I reduced the lemon juice by two teaspoons. Second, this recipe was not nearly as sweet as Miracle Whip. Accordingly, I increased the powdered sugar by a tablespoon. After the mods, the recipe was a very good imitation of the original article. It works in a pinch. By the way, Mirj, where could one possibly live that Miracle Whip is not available? Being a "die hard" MW lover, I would be glad to send you some.
I made this yesterday, following the suggestions to increase the ps and decrease the lemon juice - EXCELLENT!! I took a sample to work and everyone raved about it. This will be all I use from now on - tastier and cheaper than the real thing!