Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe on the internet. The original poster is "Mary".
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard (prepared is O.K.)
- 1 large egg, plus water to make 3/4 cup
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- In a blender combine vegetable oil, lemon juice, salt, dry or prepared mustard, and the egg/water mixture.
- Blend well.
- In a medium sauce pan cook together flour, sugar, water/egg/oil mixture and vinegar until stiff, stirring constantly.
- While hot, add to blender.
- Pulse a few times and then blend until smooth.
- *** Make sure you release the lid a few times during this pulsing to release any built up heat.
I made this using olive oil since that's all I had. It really affected the taste for the worse. Be SURE to use VEG OIL AS DIRECTED. Also, this recipe tastes a little vinegar-y to me. It was not clear from the instructions what to do in step 3. It says to cook the "flour, sugar, water, and vinegar..." WATER?? The water was used in step 1. What I did was add everything together after the blending in step 1, and cook it all together until it got stiff. It seems to have worked out ok that way. I am going to try this recipe again using VEG oil and see if I like it any better. At any rate, it sure beats the price of paying for salad dressing at the supermarket! Thanks for the submission, Mary!