Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of our family favorites for the ice cream machine. Prep time does not include the time for freezing.
- 2 cups nonfat milk or 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until the sugar has dissolved.
- Color to your liking with the green food coloring.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- About 10 minutes into the freezing, add the chocolate chips.
- About 30 minutes later, after the ice cream has thickened, spoon into a container and freeze for 2 hours.
This was my first time ever making ice cream! The flavor was spot on. It was so creamy and light and cooling. However, the texture was a bit softer than I would have liked. This melted very quickly.
Just popped it in the fridge till tomorrow! So far excellent! Used whole milk with the cream. Will let you know how this turns out tomorrow! CANT WAIT!!! Well, i guess i have too lol! ///***UPDATE:*** PERFECTION! This is a wonderful fail proof recipe! It came out so indescribably delicious! Perfect texture, perfect flavor. this is my first time to make ice cream and i will never buy ice cream again! Thank you for this fabulous new family tradition! I am going to post a photo!
This is so good! Mint chocolate chip was my favorite flavor when I was little, so it brings back good memories :) This is probably the best homemade ice cream I've made so far. It tastes like Bryer's in my opinion--but even better. Thanks for sharing!