Recipe by Pets'R'us
Use for Christmas mince pies but also great added to apple pie fillings. Baking it in the oven prevents it from fermenting and gives it a longer shelf life. So far I have kept it for up to 6 months. This is a Delia Smith recipe and I have been using this recipe for a good 20 years now. Also a good gift since it is better then any bought mincemeat!
Top Review by Patricia (Pat)PatsCorner of The World Hubbert
Enjoy, checking out mincemeat pies. My favorite mincemeat pies have either deer meant (venison) or ground lean beef in them as well. Yummy. Top the entire slice, with a scoop of ice cream double yummy.
- 1 lb cooking apple, peeled cored and finely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded suet
- 12 ounces raisins
- 8 ounces sultanas
- 8 ounces currants
- 8 ounces mixed peel, finely chopped
- 12 ounces soft dark brown sugar
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 2 ounces almonds, cut into slivers
- 4 teaspoons mixed spice or 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients, except the brandy, in a large ovenproof glass or ceramic bowl.
- Cover with a cloth and leave for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- Place the bowl in the oven and leave it there for 3 hours.
- Remove and let the mincemeat cool.
- Now stir in the brandy and spoon into clean jars.
- Cover with waxed discs, seal and label.