Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is our family recipe taught to me by my mother-in-law. This is authentic Mexican rice.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 -4 slices yellow onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- Brown rice in frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Add the can of tomato sauce, onion slices and all of seasonings.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Stir gently and taste the broth to make sure spices and salt are enough for you.
- Cook on medium heat. When rice is almost done cover with plate and turn off heat to finish cooking.
This is one of our favorite rice dishes with a Mexican meal. My younger sister got this recipe from a friend of hers over 30 years ago. I remember her saying that it was an authentic dish also. Now I know where I can find this recipe fast and easy! Thanks for sharing.
This was very tasty! The seasoning was perfect for our family with just enough heat to be good. Will definately make again! Thanks for posting. Gina :)