Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from A Family Feast
- 3 eggs (you will need 2 coddled egg yolks and 1 coddled whole egg)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 grinds fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup plus one tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups canola oil
- To coddle the eggs:.
- First bring your eggs to room temperature (at least 30 minutes).
- At the same time, bring water in a teapot to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, prepare an ice bath. (An ice bath is simply a bowl full of ice water.) Set aside.
- Place room temperature eggs in a separate bowl or mug. The key thing is that you don’t want to let the eggs touch to ensure that the coddling process will cook the entire egg.
- Pour hot water over eggs and time for exactly one minute.
- Spoon out the eggs and gently plunge into the ice water bath, being careful not to break the shell. Let cool for about 2 minutes.
- You can now separate the whites from the yolks to get the coddled yolks.
- Separate 2 coddled yolks and place in food processor, discard whites.
- Add whole coddled egg, Dijon mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and 1/8 cup of the lemon juice. Pulse mixture for one minute.
- With motor running, slowly add oil just dribbling it in until all the oil has been mixed inches
- Scrape sides, stir by hand and taste.
- Add more salt, pepper or sugar as needed. Add additional tablespoon of lemon juice if needed.
- Store any remaining mayonnaise in refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. Bring back up to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.