Recipe by crispychick
My mama always had this growing up....I never had Hellman's until I was in college!!!! I'ts just delicious, and equally as wonderful as a sauce if you thin it down with more lemon juice/vinegar and add some garlic and herbs. You must have a food processor to make this.
Top Review by Chickee
Great recipe! I'd never made mayo before, but this recipe made what I was looking for. It would be 5 stars but it was a little tricky adjusting to taste... that was the most time consuming bit. But it came together well and was a nice consistency. Thanks! NOTE- I've upgraded this to 5 stars because I use it all the time now! I use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and about 1 cup of oil. I make it with the stick blender- so easy it's never failed.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of a food processor, crack the egg and the 2 egg yolks.
- Run the machine about 30 seconds and slowly (I mean slowly) drizzle the oil in, while running.
- Stop the machine (the mixture should be of normal mayonnaise consistency).
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Whiz again until mixed.
- Remember these flavors will improve upon sitting and refrigeration.