Bill Wielenbeck's Note:
Using pastuzied eggs will allow you to keep your homemade Mayo weeks longer, pasteurzing them yourself will save you money ($1.50 per dozen vs $4.00 per dozen IF you can find them in your favorite store) You can pasteurize your whole dozen and use the rest the way you normally would, minus the harmful bacteia
My Private Note
24 oz jar
Units: US | Metric
- 1First off, set your eggs out until they become room temperature, about 2-3 hours, then in a pot use enought water to completely cover your eggs. Using a candy thermometer, bring your water to 160-165 degrees farenheit, place your eggs in the water for 3 minutes, then remove and allow to cool back to room temperature (all the other eggs you just pasteurized you can put in the frg), once your eggs are room temperature, continue on to make your homemade Mayonnaise.
- 2Using a mixer,beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl on medium setting, until very thick and pale yellow.
- 3Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously .as you add the oil
- 4Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water.
- 5Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously
- 6Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water.
- 7Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water.
- 8slowly beat in remaining oil.
- 9***Note*** If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week if you did not pasteurize your eggs, 4-6 weeks if using pasteurized eggs.
- 10*** Note***, DO NOT try to rush it or you will come out with a runny mess. The egg yolks allow the oil and vinager/lemon juice (whichever you use) to emulsify, so it MUST be done slowly! DROP BY DROP!
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Mayo Using Home Pasteurized Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (13 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.1
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 58.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.2 g