Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely in hot chocolate.
- 4 (15 ml) packages gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- In a small bowl sprinkle the gelatin powder over ½ cup of the water.
- Place the sugar and the remaining one-cup of the water in a pot and heat until warm to the touch.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the warm syrup and stir until fully melted.
- Pour the gelatin syrup mixture into the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a whip.
- Add the corn syrup and vanilla and begin beating at high speed.
- Continue beating until the mixture cools, increases in volume, and forms soft peaks.
- Working quickly before the mixture fully sets in the bowl transfer to either a standard hotel pan dusted with powdered sugar for later cutting into cubes or transfer to a piping bag fitted with a straight tip and pipe mounds onto a non stick surface such as a silpat mat dusted with powdered sugar.