Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
I saw this recipe on a television show and it is a "good thing!"
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment.
- Let it stand 30 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup of water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Clip on candy thermometer; raise heat to high.
- Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244° (firm ball stage).
- Immediately remove pan from heat.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin.
- Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla; beat to incorporate.
- Generously dust an 8x12 inch glass baking pan with confectioners' sugar.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into pan.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar; let stand over night uncovered, to dry out.
I will never eat store bought marshmallows again! This recipe is wonderful!
Ooohh! Fresh marshmallows! I made these to take camping, and tested them by taking some into work. They were a hit! I added two drops of almond flavoring as well as the vanilla. I can't wait to make them again, I'm already dreaming up ways to color/flavor the next batch!
Oh my, these are really good!!! since I´m in Sweden , corn syrup is hard to get so I used what we call "vit sirap" a colorless syrup that is made out of sugar beats and it worked beautifully. I did some changes to the flavouring: 1: since I just have an awful vanilla essence I didn´t add any vanilla instead I mixed som powdered vanilla sugar with the confectioners sugar. 2: I topped the white syrup with maple syrup and got a subtle maple flavour that was really good, I will add more next time!! so easy, so good, thank you lauren!!!!!