Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Substitute when you have none; make it yourself! :) And it's fat free !
Make and share this Homemade Marshmallow Cream recipe from Food.com.
- In a glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with electric beaters on high, until light and foamy.
- With the mixer still running, gradually sprinkle in the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
- In a small saucepan, mix the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar together. Cook over medium heat until it boils and comes to the firm ball stage (246 degrees). Do not overcook.
- Drizzle the hot syrup into the egg whites with the mixer on low.
- Turn the mixer to high, and beat for 5-6 minutes, or until the sauce is very fluffy and the consistency of marshmallow cream.
- Beat in the extract.
- Note: This cream is of the consistency that it can be piped as you would frosting.
I made this the other day to top my moon pie Mardi Gras cupcakes. It turned out gorgeous, delicious, and not overly sweet. I did, however, substitute meringue powder for the egg whites, but otherwise followed the recipe. I did that because I have a 2 year old and was worried about the raw eggs. That being said, I'm sure that the temp of the syrup cooks the egg whites adequately, and I shouldn't worry about it...but I do. So I think the flavor was a little 'off' due to the meringue powder. The recipe whipped up beautifully and piped perfectly. And is still standing tall on my cupcakes two days later.
I've been eating this by the spoonful for a week now and am in love. I don't remember the last time I had actual marshmallow fluff from a jar, but this is very close to what I remember, and oh so delicious.