Blue Ribbon Preserves
Make and share this Homemade Maraschino Cherries recipe from Food.com.
- Remove pits from cherries.
- Combine 8 cups water and ascorbic acid.
- Stir until crystals are dissolved.
- Add cherries to the solution.
- Don't allow the fruit to remain more than 20 minutes.
- Rinse fruit; drain well.
- Combine 1 1/2 cup water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in food coloring and add the cherries.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool completely, allowing cherries to soak 24 hours.
- Next day, bring to a boil and then stir in almond extract.
- Pack hot cherries into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Shake jars to get firm pack.
- Bring syrup to a boil and ladle hot syrup into jars.
- Process in water bath for 15 minutes for 1/2 pint jars.