Recipe by HopeK
From the Chicago Tribune, don't give in to the boxed mac n cheese. This is a delicious dish.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream, heated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (5 oz)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 8 ounces processed American cheese, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 3 TBS butter in saucepan over medium heat. When the foam subsides, stir in flour; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Slowly add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring 3-4 minutes Remove from heat; add salt and pepper and 1 cup Parmesan, stirring well to melt cheese. Cover, set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 Deg F. Cook macaroni in a stockpot of boiling salted water, until al dente, 5 minutes Drain; return macaroni to stockpot. Toss with remaining 2 TBS butter and garlic. Add sauce; toss.
- Mix Cheddar and processed cheeses together. Place 1/2 of macaroni in a buttered 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers with another 1/3 of each. Mix breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan together. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake until bubbling and top begins to brown, 30-45 minutes Remove from oven, let sit for 5 mins before serving.