1 hr 20 mins
From the Chicago Tribune, don't give in to the boxed mac n cheese. This is a delicious dish.
My Private Note
9x13 ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk or 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream, heated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (5 oz)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 8 ounces processed American cheese, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1Melt 3 TBS butter in saucepan over medium heat. When the foam subsides, stir in flour; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Slowly add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring 3-4 minutes Remove from heat; add salt and pepper and 1 cup Parmesan, stirring well to melt cheese. Cover, set aside.
- 2Heat oven to 350 Deg F. Cook macaroni in a stockpot of boiling salted water, until al dente, 5 minutes Drain; return macaroni to stockpot. Toss with remaining 2 TBS butter and garlic. Add sauce; toss.
- 3Mix Cheddar and processed cheeses together. Place 1/2 of macaroni in a buttered 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers with another 1/3 of each. Mix breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan together. Sprinkle over top.
- 4Bake until bubbling and top begins to brown, 30-45 minutes Remove from oven, let sit for 5 mins before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1193.4
- Calories from Fat 545
- Total Fat 60.5 g
- Saturated Fat 37.1 g
- Cholesterol 171.4 mg
- Sodium 1720.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 55.5 g