Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and yummy Mac and Cheese
Make and share this Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄8 cup light butter (cut up)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- salt and pepper
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- Layer 1/2 the macaroni, 1/2 the butter and 1/2 the cheese into a round casserole dish.
- Repeat with another layer.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, add milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over macaroni/cheese adding more milk if desired.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Delicious Mac & Cheese. Creamier than the stuff from a box - and tastes better too! This was so easy too make (another plus in when I choose recipes). I made this following directions exactly as written (I really wanted to stir-but I didn't.) We will definitely be having this again. Made and enjoyed for PAC, Spring 2009.
My mother also made it this way. Always made it in a round oven proof bowl. Buttered it well and sprinkled all over with bread crumbs She did not layer it but combined it all. Beating the egg into the milk. Since Cheddar was not a big thing in Germany when I grew up, she used Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkled the top with bread crumbs and drizzled with melted butter. When ripe tomatoes were in season she also added cut up tomatoes and sometimrs left-over ham.We always fought over the crunchy outsides and top. Now I'm sitting here drooling on my keyboard. :-0
This Mac & Cheese is very tasty. Some of the cheese on top of the casserole became a bit crispy (Yum). I also loved how easy it was to prepare. DD didn't like it as much as I but she can be a hard sell. Made for Spring09PAC.