Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on Reader's Digest Canada's web page. I copied it directly from there to make it readily available on this site. RD.ca: These pretty pops will delight youngsters-and they are far more flavorful than the store-bought kind.
- 12 lollipop sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 -8 drops food coloring
- 2 -3 drops flavoring oil
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, and arrange lollipop sticks 4 inches apart. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, and corn syrup, and heat until sugar dissolves. Cover and boil mixture 1 minute. Remove the cover and boil the syrup until it registers 310°F (or 98°F above the boiling point of your water) on a candy thermometer.
- Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and set on a rack. Let syrup cool 5 minutes, then stir in food coloring and flavoring.
- Pour syrup in 2- to 3-inch puddles over one end of each lollipop stick. Allow candy to cool completely. Wrap each lollipop in plastic wrap.
- *Oil flavorings, available at health-food stores, work better than alcohol-based extracts, which can evaporate during the candy-making process.