1920 hrs 5 mins
I have enjoyed tasting a good friend's Limoncello and since I have a very productive lemon tree, I decided to make it myself. It is delicious and in a side-by-side, blind taste test with the store bought liquor, my husband preferred this homemade recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note that if you have a choice, use thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.
- 2Also note that 100 proof vodka has less flavor than a lower proof vodka. Also, the high alcohol level ensures that the Limoncello will not turn to ice in the freezer.
- 3Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax; pat dry.
- 4Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel. Only use the outer part of the rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind is too bitter and would spoil the Limoncello.
- 5In a large glass jar (1 gallon), add one bottle of vodka; add the lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least ten days and up to 40 days in a cool dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. There is no need to stir, all you have to do is wait! The longer the Limoncello sits, the vodka slowly takes on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.
- 6After the Limoncello has sat on the lemon zests for the allotted period of time, combine the sugar and water in a large saucepan. Cook until thickened, approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
- 7Let the syrup cool before adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Add the second bottle of vodka to the mixture. Allow the jar to rest for another 10 - 40 days.
- 8After the second rest period, strain and bottle the liquor and discard the lemon zest. Keep bottles you are using in the freezer and serve ice cold.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Limoncello
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 31.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g