Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes a fresher and bolder flavor than store-bought.
- 5 -6 large lemons
- 1⁄3 cup crushed peppercorn (black or tri-colored medley)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt (optional)
- Using a microplane or zester, pull the zest across the surface of the fruit, working around any discolored or bad spots. Only pull off the colored portion leaving the white, bitter pith behind.
- Use a wooden spoon or other sturdy tool, mash the cracked pepper and zest together. This helps release the citrus oils in the zest and combine them with the pepper.
- Spread the lemon zest/crushed peppercorn mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 200 degrees until the zest is completely dried. Ovens vary, check every 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon-pepper to a spice grinder or cleaned coffee mill and grind until desired texture. Mix with the kosher salt, if desired, and store in an airtight container for up to a few months.