Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is and inexpensive gift for your next party.
FOR THE BASKET
- 100 g plain flour
- 1.23 ml salt, to taste
- 50 g butter, Chilled
- 1 whole egg yolk
- 47.91 g water, Cooled
FOR THE FILLING
- 7.39 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml garlic, chopped
- 14.79 ml red onion, Chopped
- 50 g smoked salmon, Crumbled
- 25 g mashed potatoes
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml salt, to taste
- 1 whole egg
FOR THE GARNISH
- 50 g potatoes, Peel And Boil
- 25 g butter
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml white pepper
- 0.06 ml food coloring
- Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add approximately 1/2 of the egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the dough and roll out into a 12 inch square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin. Cut it into a round shape (diameter 2 inch) using a pastry cutter or cookie cutter.
- Put the pastry rounds into the greased mould (use butter or coking spray) and make sure the dough goes up the sides as well.Then trim off the excess pastry. Prick the base with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
- In a pan heat 1/2 table spoon olive oil over medium high heat add garlic and mix. Next add onion, salmon, and mashed potatoes. Mix until onion is softened and everything is heated through. Add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Place your prepared filling in the pastry and beat the 1/2 egg. Brush the egg over the filling.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 200 c degrees or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- After that decorate with colored mashed potatoes. Take a potato. Peel and boil it until fork tender. Drain the water. Squash it. Add butter salt, white pepper and food coloring. Mix well. Put into a piping bag and pipe it on top of the filling, as I’ve done in the photo above.
- The basket handle was made out of pastry dough. You can do this with the extra scraps of dough if you want.
- Serve and enjoy.